How to Convert Mini / Micro SIM in to Nano SIM for iPhone 5
Do it yourself guide to cut convert your Mini or Micro SIM in to Nano SIM for the iPhone 5 with a cutter, scissor and sandpaper only.
However, unlike iPhone 4S, the new iPhone 5 does not support the conventional Micro-SIMs. Instead, users will now have to order a new Nano-SIM from their carrier. Nano-SIM for iPhone 5 can be a problem if your carrier does not offer micro-SIM cards yet or takes a long time to process the orders.
There is however an alternate solution. The following how-to guide will take you through a step-by-step process to transform your Mini-SIM or Micro-SIM in to Nano-SIM. For the process, you will require a SIM Card, a marker pen, a ruler, cutter knife and a filing tool (Sandpaper or File).
First, get some knowledge about Nano SIM. The Nano-SIM aka 4FF card is 40 percent smaller than the current smallest SIM card design, the micro SIM, which measures 12.3mm × 8.8mm × 0.7mm [ Length × Width × Thickness ] and reduces the previous format to the contact area while maintaining the existing contact arrangements. However, a small rim of isolating material is being left around the contact area to avoid short circuits with the socket.
- Many people says, You can’t just cut your SIM. Nano SIM is also 15% thinner. So even if you cut it down to the correct shape, it won’t fit because it’s too thick.
- Yes, you can cut with scissors and sandpaper can fix the thickness. All you need is patience and a stable hand.
Video Guide :
Note : This is a DIY guide, we suggest you to start with a useless SIM first because the chip is very delicate.
- Printable PDF created by Christian von der Ropp  and can be downloaded here.
- A marker pen, ruler, cutter knife and a filing tool (Sandpaper or File).
- Mini SIM or Micro SIM you want to trim down.
1. Take the printout of the PDF you downloaded earlier or downloaded here.
- Print the page at 100% scale on a A4 size sheet.
- Place your SIM on appropriate place on the paper and fix it with a double sided tape.
2. Place the scale on SIM card and draw the Horizontal and Vertical lines as per directed on the printed sheet.
3. Now trim down the extra plastic with scissor.
4. Your Mini SIM or Micro SIMs depth is 0.8mm so rub backside of your SIM on Sandpaper or File tool to trim down the depth to 0.7mm.
6. That’s it.