How to Install OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 on PC | Hackintosh
Guide to Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 on Intel PC, laptop. Vanilla Installation guide to build Hackintosh / OSX86 with latest version of Mac OS X.
Apple just launched Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 to general public and the build number is the same build number as the Golden Master. So this guide will work with both GM and Final release. First time hackintoshers are recommended to read the procedure twice or thrice. There is nothing technically complicated that isn’t clearly explained, but if you have any doubt or question post a comment below or ask us on our facebook page. We’ll try our best to help you out.
Note : If you like our work, encourage us by sharing this post on Twitter, Facebook, Google + as much as you can.
- Running Mac OS X – This can be in the form of an existing hackintosh, a virtual machine (VMWARE) or a regular Mac.
- A 8GB or larger USB flash drive.
- A copy of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8
- One / Two cup of Coffee and dedicated time
- An SSD or HDD to install OS X Mountain Lion 10.8
- Some Kexts, Packages and Installers. Don’t worry we collected all these files and packed in to a single Zip file for your convenience. Just click here (ML_OSx86_iHackintosh) and save this file to desktop.
Part ONE : Formatting Your Hard Drive.
- If you are on windows you’ll need to use Disk Management. Open the start menu, and type in diskmgmt.msc or use Run.
- Find your drive, right-click on it, and Shrink the HDD you want to install Mountain Lion on.
- You can also add a separate HDD to Install Mountain Lion. Personally I prefer a separate HDD in my rig.
Part Two : Preparing your install Partition/Flash Drive.
- Open Disk Utility and Select your USB flash Drive and format it as Mac OS Extended (journaled) and
hit Erase button. Leave Disk Utility open, as you’ll need it later.
- Download Mac OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store ($19.99)
- The installer should show up in your Applications folder.
- Right-click on the installer and hit “Show Package Contents”. Navigate to Contents > SharedSupport and locate a disc image file called “InstallESD.dmg”
- Mount the InstallESD.DMG (pirates just double click the .dmg you downloaded from internet)
- Next We’ll need to run Show-Hide Files found in the ZIP file you’ve downloaded earlier.
- Now launch Terminal.app and run this command in terminal
- Now Open Disk Utility again and select your install partition/Flash Drive.
- Click on Restore, Drag the Mac OS X Base System.dmg found on your desktop to the Source Window. Also drag your Install Partition/USB to the Destination Window and Click Restore. It’ll give you a warning about Erasing it click on Erase. Check the following screenshot to understand this step better.
- Installation process will take 15-30 minutes, after installation you’ll end up with 2 “Mac OS X Base System” drives on your desktop. Figure out which one is your USB drive by Right-Click > Get Info and check the capacity as an indicator.
- Open your flash drive and navigate to System > installation and you’ll find a link to Packages remove it, and create a new folder called “Packages“.
- Go to the original Mac OS X Install ESD and copy the contents of Packages to the folder you made in previous step.
Part Three : “Fixing” the Installation.
- Copy to the Two .Kexts files found in the ML_OSx86_iHackintosh (downloaded earlier) folder to System > library > extensions
- Next copy the OSInstall file to System > Library > PrivateFrameworks > Install.framework > Frameworks > OSInstall.framework > Versions > A and overwrite what’s already there.
- Copy the OSinstall.mpkg to System > Installation > Packages overwrite what’s already there.
- Run the Chameleon install package. Remember to select customized install and select all the Options/enablers needed (SMbios etc)
- Copy over the Mach_kernel found in the root of the Mac OS X install ESD to the root of your Partition/USB drive.
- Now move the Chamleon package to the root of the Partition/USB drive.
Part Four : Installing Mountain Lion from USB Drive.
- Stick the USB drive in the computer you wish to install Mountain Lion and boot from your USB drive.
- Chameleon boot-loader will pop up on your screen, highlight your flash drive and add -v, then push enter.
- Follow the installer to install OS X to the desired partition.
- Once the installer is finished it will reboot, on reboot boot back into the installer USB we need to fix some files before booting in to OS X.
- From the installer go to Utilities and Terminal and type following commands one by one.
NOTE: Replace YOURS_10.8_INSTALLATION_DRIVE with the name of your install partition, mine was MLOSX86.
Part Five : Booting OS X 10.8
- Boot from USB and select the Drive where you installed Mountain Lion to and boot verbose.
- After a lots of text flyby, You’ll be asked to the setup your fresh installation. Go through that process to setup 10.8
- Once you boot in to Mac OS X, run the Chameleon package and select all the Enablers you require and the SMBOIS.
- You’re Done! Congratulations!!
Disclaimer : Everything related to OSx86 / Hackintosh is a collaborative effort amongst peoples and hackers worldwide. We collected best information and latest utilities from all around the Web. We’d like to thank InsanelyMac Forums. WikiOSX86Project, TonyMacOSX86 Forums, Netkas, Chameleon Team and everybody related to OSX86 community.