iPhone Dev team just released pwnage tool jailbreak for iOS 4.x, confirming that the new release will support iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4, iPod touch 2G, 3G, and 4G, as well as the iPad and the second-generation Apple TV. iPhone Dev team ported GeoHotz limera1n exploit in to pwnage tool. Limera1n is is a low-level bootrom exploit which will allow the use of unsigned code execution. The specialty of this exploit is that it cannot be patched with software or firmware update and requires new bootrom to get patched. So to patch the jailbreak, Apple has to come up with new iDevices with a new bootrom.
AppleTV 2G users: Welcome to the JB family! Right now, about all you can do is command-line stuff via ssh. You also have afc2 available, so you can use tools like ifunbox to move files around. These are the *very* early days of AppleTV 2G jailbreaking, so it’ll take some time for JB app developers to come up with methods to use your AppleTV 2G from the remote, versus the command line. PS: Your ssh password is “alpine”…please change it when you can 🙂 (VIA Dev Team)
- Apple TV Second Generation
- Mac OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard
- Apple TV Firmware iOS 4.1 Download here
- Pwnage Tool Download Here
Step One). Download the required files and make a folder on Desktop called “iHackintosh” or whatever you want and put the Firmware 4.1 and Pwnage tool in that folder.
Step Two). Close all other running programs and launch Pwnage tool from iHackintosh folder.
Step Three). Choose your Mode, Simple Mode or Expert Mode
- Simple Mode – Which provides step by step instructions as below and automatically detects your correct firmware and adds the unlock and activation and jailbreak with Cydia automatically to your
- Expert Mode – Where you can adjust the settings on the various different additions to the custom firmware – if you click through and do not change anything in expert mode it will make the same
In the following post we used Simple mode for better reliability.
Step Four). In the next window click and select Apple TV. A big green check-mark will appear over the image of the phone which you selected. Once you selected the Apple TV model then click the blue arrow button at bottom to continue.
Step Five). You will be asked to save your custom .ipsw file. Save it to your Pwnage folder you created on your Desktop.
- Your IPSW is not being built. Please allow up to 10 minutes.
- You will be asked to enter your administrator password. Do this then click the OK button.
Step Six). Once your ipsw has been built you will be asked to connect your ATV to the computer. Once it detects your device Pwnage Tool will guide your through the steps to putting your Apple TV into DFU mode. You can also follow our guide to Put Apple TV in to DFU Mode
Step Seven). iTunes will now restore the firmware on your Apple TV. This can also take up to 10 minutes. Once done you will be rebooted into jailbroken iOS 4.1!