Apple TV second generation got it’s very first jailbroken app called nitoTV. NitoTV is a front end for the popular mplayer media player; however, it also includes additional capabilities to view RSS feeds, weather forecasts, a variety of kexts/frameworks/binaries, perian, mplayer codecs, perform the safe update, play nes, snes, genesis, game gear and gameboy advanced roms and much more.
Right now only Weather app is working on ATV2 but developer promises to bring more functionalities sooner or later.
- Jailbroken Apple TV (Guide to Jailbreak Apple TV with Pwnage Tool)
- Working Internet Connection
Instructions to install nitoTV :
1) SSH into your Apple TV2, the default password is "alpine"
2) Type: "passwd" without quotes and enter a new password (if you haven’t already)
3) Type: echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
4) Type: apt-get update
5) Type: apt-get install com.nito.nitoTV
6) Type: killall Lowtide
7) reboots your AppleTV and enjoy nitoTV