Musclenerd just confirmed that redsn0w 0.9.5, which they developed to jailbreak OS 4.0 beta 1 to beta 4 is totally compatible with iOS GM 4 for iPhone 3G. The beta release is still full of bugs and not intended for the end user. The beta version was meant for iPhone Jailbreak Apps programmers to test their applications to correct under OS 4. If you are going to jailbreak your iPhone 3G with Redsn0w make sure to read the note / warning section carefully before attempting a install of iOS 4 GM on your iPhone.
This guide is for iOS 4 GM release, please check our new guide with updated version of Redsn0w
Note / Warnings :
- Redsn0w 0.9.5 is available for iPhone 3G and Mac OS only.
- You should be a registered Apple developer or your iPhone UDID should be registered with any iPhone Dev, so you can install the beta version.
- If you update to iOS 4 GM your Baseband will be at 05.13 and you will lost the carrier unlock until the next planned release of ultrasn0w and blacksn0w.
- You can Downgrade to 3.1.3 but remember only your firmware will be downgraded and baseband will be untouched.
- Redsn0w 0.9.5 is also in beta and may cause you some bugs, errors so if you are not a developer stay away from beta release of both iOS 4 GM and Redsn0w.
How to Jailbreak iPhone 3G OS 4 beta with Redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta
- Make sure you’ve iPhone3G already running on iOS 4 GM
- and Launch the redsn0w 0.9.5 beta
- Now here comes the tricky part, when redsn0w ask you to select firmware, browse to iPhone OS 4.0 beta 1 or beta 4 ipsw instead of iOS 4 GM.
- Select “Install Cydia” and click “Next”. Use DFU mode to install the jailbreak.
- When your iPhone3G comes back up, you’ll notice Cydia has a blank white icon (we told you many things were broken right now!) You’ll also notice Cydia has no sources. Go to the Sources panel and add this repo: http://apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7 (be sure you have a carrier or wifi signal first!). When Cydia restarts, you should see its real logo now, and the standard sources should be ready to use.
Note : You can downgrade back to OS 3.1.3 any time, just follow our guide to Downgrade iPhone 3G 3GS iOS 4 GM to OS 3.1.3
Stay tuned with us for your daily dose of iPhone news, you can follow us on twitter via @ihackinjosh You can also subscribe to our daily free e-mail news letter and keep your self updated with the latest of iPhone community.