Musclenerd [Dev Team] released Redsn0w 0.9 [Beta] for jailbreaking iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS on firmware 3.1.2 And iH8sn0w team announced the availability of final build of Sn0wbreeze. We are getting lots of mails/tweets from our loyal readers regarding, should i go for Sn0wbreeze or Redsn0w? and What is difference between Redsn0w and Sn0wbreeze? So i decided to post a little article to clear their confusions. If you have any question we didn’t covered here, just post your doubt in comments section below.
Sn0wbreeze : Sn0wbreeze/Pwnage Tool patches the iPhone firmware to create a custom version. Sn0wbreeze process enables a lot more options such as pre-installed packages, boot neuters (unlock for iPhone 1st Generation), custom packages and boot logos. Sn0wbreeze uses a custom restore bundle, or .ipsw. You can then restore to this bundle in iTunes, and on completion have a device tailored to your needs. This method is usually more secure than the quick exploits (redsn0w, blackra1n etc.). You can check our Sn0wbreeze guide here
Redsn0w : Redsn0w is totally different from Sn0wbreeze, redsn0w doesn’t requires you to custom restore. Simply update your phone to 3.1.2 (if you haven’t updated to 3.1.2) and do the jailbreak process. For some people, this is by far the best method, as restoring requires you to sync all your data back.You can check our Redsn0w guide here
In my case i always prefer pwnage tool. Since many of you don’t have a Macintosh/Hackintosh, Sn0wbreeze can be a life savior for you. You can check our Sn0wbreeze guide here
If you are still confused to choose your poison, check the following advantages of Sn0wbreeze.
- Disable baseband updates : If you are using unofficial carrier for e.g. T-Mobile, you should take care of your baseband. Sn0wbreeze (Windows) and Pwnage (Mac) offer you a choice to preserve your baseband while updating to latest firmware. For example if Apple release a new baseband update with firmware 3.2/4.0 (whatever) you can preserve your unlock bypassing the baseband update by creating a custom firmware.
- Install third party applications : Are you tired off restarting springboard, reboot device after installing a tweak from Cydia and then long refresh time at every launch of Cydia? Do you have a long list of Cydia applications to install? if your answer is YES, then Sn0wbreeze is your poison.
Advantages of Redsn0w
- Needn’t to restore again if you are already on 3.1.2 firmware.
- Quick, easy and of-course it’s an official iPhone Dev team release.
- You can change the boot logo and enable verbose mode without restoring again.