How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS on OS 3.1 Pwnage Tool (Mac)
Finally Dev Team released Pwnage tool for iPhone 3GS Firmware 3.1, the latest firmware update OS 3.1 contains a baseband firmware update 5.11.04 which is not compatible with Ultrasn0w. Means if you upgrade your iPhone 3GS 3.0 to 3.1 your baseband also upgrades from Modem FW 04.26.08 to 5.11.04, Now the problem is you can’t unlock baseband 5.11.04 with any utility out in the wild. Thanks to Dev team, PwnageTool program let’s you update your main firmware without touching your baseband firmware, so you can still have the best of both worlds. Here we have a simple to follow guide which shows you how to upgrade and unlock your iPhone 3G from Firmware 3.0 to Firmware 3.1 without upgrading your baseband.
Am i eligible for Pwnage tool or not ?
- I have an iPhone 3GS 3.0/3.0.1 redsn0wed : You are in
- I have an iPhone 3GS 3.1 and saved SHSH to Cydia : You are in But Downgrade to 3.0 with the following guide Downgrading iPhone 3GS from 3.1 to 3.0 with Cydia SHSH.
- I have an iPhone 3GS 3.1 but didn’t saved SHSH to Cydia : You are out of luck
In short new pwnage tool release is specifically for 3gs users who are using 3.0.X, If you updated to 3.1 without your shsh saved to Cydia then you can’t do anything with this release.
- iPhone 3GS
- Mac OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard
- iPhone Firmware OS 3.1
- Pwnage Tool
Step One). Download the required files and make a folder on Desktop called “iHackintosh” or whatever you want and put the Firmware 3.1 and Pwnage tool in iHackintosh folder.
Step Two). Close all other running programs and launch Pwnage tool from iHackintosh folder by double click.
Step Three). Choose your Mode, Simple Mode or Expert Mode
- Simple Mode - Which provides step by step instructions as below and automatically detects your correct firmware and adds the unlock and activation and jailbreak with Cydia automatically to your
- Expert Mode – Where you can adjust the settings on the various different additions to the custom firmware – if you click through and do not change anything in expert mode it will make the same
In the following post we used Expert mode for better reliability.
Step Four). In the next window click and select your iPhone. A big green check-mark will appear over the image of the phone which you selected. Once you selected the iPhone model then click the blue arrow button at bottom to continue.
Step Five). You will be brought to the "Browse for IPSW" Windows. On my Hackint0sh, it automatically found the IPSW. If PwnageTool doesn’t automatically find the ipsw file you can click Browse for IPSW(Just in Case)
Step Six). In the next screen click to select General then click the blue arrow button at the bottom right corner.
Step Seven). You’ll get to the General Settings Screen. The General settings allows you to decide the partition size, Activate the phone and Enabled baseband update. The most crucial step of your process so be careful and read it 3-4 times before getting in to the business. Check Activate the phone if you are not with an official carrier then click the blue arrow button. Deselect Activate if you have an iPhone legitimately activated on an official carrier.
- If you are using an Official service provider (i.e. AT&T) you do not need to "Unlock Baseband", therefore you can Uncheck “Activate the phone”.
- If You are using an Unofficial service provider (i.e. T-Mobile) then check “Activate the phone” So you can enjoy Ultrasn0w with the 3.1
Step Eight). The next window Cydia settings menu allows you to create custom packages so you do not have to manually install them later.
- Click to select the Download packages tab. Then click the Refresh button to display all the available packages. Double clicking the package you want will download it and make it available in the Select Packages tab.
- Checkmark the ones you want then Click the blue arrow button.
- The Custom Packages Settings menu displays listed package settings for your custom IPSW. For know leave these settings as is. Click the blue arrow button to continue.
Step Nine). The Custom Logos Settings menu allows you to add your own images, you can pick your custom logo settings. If you uncheck them both, the originals will remain. Once done click the blue arrow button to continue.
Step Ten). You are now ready to begin the Pwnage process! Click the Build button to select it then click the Blue arrow button to begin.
Step Eleven). You will be asked to save your custom .ipsw file. Save it to your Pwnage folder you created on your Desktop.
- Your IPSW is not being built. Please allow up to 10 minutes.
- You will be asked to enter your administrator password. Do this then click the OK button.
Step Twelve). PwnageTool makes your iPhone into the mode of repair, called "Recovery Mode", Make sure your iPhone is connected to the computer then follow Step Thirteen to put your iPhone into recovery mode.
Step Thirteen). How to put your iPhone in recovery mode.
- Turn the device completely off and disconnect it from cable/dock.
- Hold down the home button.
- While holding down the home button connect to a computer with a cable (easiest) or dock.
- Keep holding down the home button until you see a connect-to-itunes screen You are now in recovery mode.
When done correctly your iPhone will display an image of the iTunes logo and a usb cable. iTunes will also pop-up saying it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.
Step Fourteen). Now enter in iTunes to restore your iPhone. Logo of guy that tells iTunes detected an iPhone in DFU mode and you need to restore.
Step Sixteen). In iTunes, hold the Alt/Option key and click Restore. Navigate to the iHackintosh folder on your desktop using the dialog window that appears. Select the custom IPSW that was created and click the Open button. iTunes will now restore the firmware on your iPhone. This can also take up to 10 minutes.