Dev team released Pwnage tool for jailbreaking and unlocking iPhone 2G, 3G with the 3.1 firmware. iPhone 3G users are advised to use Pwnage tool for retaining their current baseband. Most of iPhone user doesn’t owns a Mac and here is the guide to Jailbreak and Unlock your iPhone 2G/3G with firmware 3.1 All you have to do is download a custom firmware hotlinked below this custom firmware is created with Dev team Pwnage Tool that strips out the baseband update from the upgrade.
Note : Read the following before getting in to business.
- This guide is for those who pwned their phone last time, if you are not sure about your phone just restart it and check it boots with a custom logo(e.g. pineapple) or Apple logo. If boots with custom logo go ahead.
- Some people who redsn0wed their iPhone last time successfully restored their phone with custom firmware but 60% of Redsn0w user getting errors. So we don’t advise you to use this on previously Redsn0wed iPhones. However these firmware’s are baseband update free so you can try these at you own risk. Please read the Update Section below
- Read this guide twice or thrice before trying anything. If you have any doubt post a comment below, we’ll try our best to reply you as soon as possible.
- If you already updated your iPhone 3G to 3.1 non pwned or Apple firmware then you can’t enjoy UltraSn0w anymore.
- For iPhone 2G follow first four steps and for iPhone 3G follow the whole procedure.
- During the restore if you get any error then put your phone in DFU mode and try again or you can also downgrade to 3.0 with in from DFU mode.
Step One : Download the custom firmware and extract to your desktop. These custom firmware are Jailbreaked and contains Cydia for using the full potential of jailbreaking.
Download iPhone 2G 3.1 Custom Firmware : Google is your F.R.I.E.N.D
Download iPhone 3G 3.1 Custom Firmware : Google is your F.R.I.E.N.D
Please do not ask links to custom IPSWs in your comments, because the software in them is copyrighted by Apple. For legal issues we can’t link you for modified custom firmware.
Step Two : if the files you downloaded have an extension .001 and .002. Then you need a special open source (free) software HJSplit to join those files. Download HJSplit to join both the files – HJSplit for Windows Computers and HJSplit for Macs here.
Step Three : Put your iPhone in Recovery mode by following instructions.
- Turn the device completely off and disconnect it from cable/dock.
- Hold down the home button.
- While holding down the home button connect to a computer with a cable (easiest) or dock.
- Keep holding down the home button until you see a connect-to-itunes screen You are now in recovery mode.
Step Three : Launch iTunes 8.2, hold the shift key and then hit Restore button. For Mac hold Option key on your Mac and then hit the restore button. Make sure to hit the restore button.In the dialog box that pops up, browse the downloaded custom firmware file and let iTunes do it’s job. Once the upgrade is finished you haven’t need to jailbreak it again since it was already jailbroken.
- If you get a 16XX or 21 error while restoring then follow the Update on bypass error 16xx below and re perform the restore process.
- If you need to unlock iPhone 3G then follow the unlock instructions below.
—- Update Bypass Error 16xx —-
Thanks to Andrew for the tip, iH8sn0w release iREB 2.2 for those who getting error 16XX while restoring, download iREB 2.2 for Windows or Mac from here unzip the tool to desktop. To apply patch run the application select your iPhone or iPod then follow on screen instructions.
- Place Your Device into DFU mode by following instructions
- Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Turn iPhone off.
- Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
- Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
- A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
- If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode, not DFU.
- Select Your Device in REB utility, it will take a few seconds to get a White and then a Red screen!
- Then you may Open iTunes and Restore to custom firmware.
In the patching process you need to put your phone in DFU mode so must check our previous article on Difference Between Recovery Mode and DFU Mode
Windows Vista and Windows 7 user note : Right Click > Properties > Compatibility Properties, Run it as Windows XP.
For Unlocking iPhone 3G only
Step Five : Make sure to set up your wireless network settings on your iPhone 3G so you will be able to connect to the software repositories in Cydia. Now fire the Cydia app it may requires restart first time.
Step Six : Click on the Manage tab on the bottom menu bar. In the Manage tab, click on the Sources button in the middle. You will need to add the source to the yellowsn0w repo to utilize the soft unlock.
Step Seven : Click on "Edit" on the top right, then "Add" on the top left. In the URL, type: the following url without quotes “ http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com/ “. When you are done click "Done" .
Step Seven : Now click on the "Search" tab and type "Ultrasn0w" and install the app "Ultrasn0w" Once the Ultrasn0w is installed restart your iPhone and Wait for the slide to unlock screen and then wait 15 seconds more. If you don’t see the SIM card working, reinsert the SIM and wait another 10 seconds.If every thing goes fine then enjoy the firmware 3.1
Disclaimer : All the steps are performed and verified by thousands of jailbreakers, though we are not responsible for any hardware software damage (just in case). So before performing your process read this guide twice or thrice.
Pwnage Tool 3.1 Jailbreaking Unlocking Guides
- How to Jailbreak iPhone 3G on OS 3.1 Pwnage Tool (Mac)
- How to Unlock iPhone 3G OS 3.1 With UltraSn0w
- How to Unlock Jailbreak iPhone 2G on OS 3.1 Pwnage Tool (Mac)