Apple released the latest iPhone Software update OS 3.1, the latest firmware update contains a baseband firmware update 5.11.04 which is not compatible with Ultrasn0w. Means if you upgrade your iPhone 3G 3.0 to 3.1 your baseband also upgrades from Modem FW 04.26.08 to 5.11.04, For more details about Baseband and Bootloader check here iPhone Baseband and Bootloader From Basic. Now the problem is you can’t unlock baseband 5.11.04 with any utility in the wild. Thanks to Dev team, PwnageTool program let’s you update your main firmware without touching your baseband firmware, so you can still have the best of both worlds. Here we have a simple to follow guide which shows you how to upgrade and unlock your iPhone 3G from Firmware 3.0 to Firmware 3.1 without upgrading your baseband.
- iPhone 3G
- Mac OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard
- iPhone Firmware OS 3.1 Google it
- Pwnage Tool Download Here
- How to Unlock iPhone 3G OS 3.1 With UltraSn0w
- How to Unlock Jailbreak iPhone 2G on OS 3.1 Pwnage Tool (Mac)
Step One). Download the required files and make a folder on Desktop called “iHackintosh” or whatever you want and put the Firmware 3.1 and Pwnage tool in iHackintosh folder.
Step Two). Close all other running programs and launch Pwnage tool from iHackintosh folder by double click.
Step Three).Choose your Mode, Simple Mode or Expert Mode
- Simple Mode – Which provides step by step instructions as below and automatically detects your correct firmware and adds the unlock and activation and jailbreak with Cydia automatically to your
- Expert Mode – Where you can adjust the settings on the various different additions to the custom firmware – if you click through and do not change anything in expert mode it will make the same
In the following post we used Expert mode for better reliability.
Step Four). In the next window click and select your iPhone. A big green check-mark will appear over the image of the phone which you selected. Once you selected the iPhone model then click the blue arrow button at bottom to continue.
Step Five). You will be brought to the "Browse for IPSW" Windows. On my Hackint0sh, it automatically found the IPSW. If PwnageTool doesn’t automatically find the ipsw file you can click Browse for IPSW(Just in Case)
Step Seven). You’ll get to the General Settings Screen. The General settings allows you to decide the partition size, Activate the phone and Enabled baseband update. The most crucial step of your process so be careful and read it 3-4 times before getting in to the business.
- If you are using an Official service provider (i.e. AT&T) you do not need to "Unlock Baseband", therefore you can Uncheck “Activate the phone” and Check “Enable baseband update”.
- If You are using an Unofficial service provider (i.e. T-Mobile) then Uncheck “Enable baseband update” Keep in mind that "Activate the phone" will not work on the iPhone 3G (settings will be grayed out) as of the time of this post – you will need to read our ultrasn0w guide to unlock your iPhone.
Step Eight). The next window Cydia settings menu allows you to create custom packages so you do not have to manually install them later.
- Click to select the Download packages tab. Then click the Refresh button to display all the available packages. Double clicking the package you want will download it and make it available in the Select Packages tab.
- Checkmark the ones you want then Click the blue arrow button.
- The Custom Packages Settings menu displays listed package settings for your custom IPSW. For know leave these settings as is. Click the blue arrow button to continue.
Step Nine). The Custom Logos Settings menu allows you to add your own images, you can pick your custom logo settings. If you uncheck them both, the originals will remain. Once done click the blue arrow button to continue.
Step Eleven). You will be asked to save your custom .ipsw file. Save it to your Pwnage folder you created on your Desktop.
- Your IPSW is not being built. Please allow up to 10 minutes.
- You will be asked to enter your administrator password. Do this then click the OK button.
Step Twelve). Now another question, if your iPhone has been pwned before, or if you already unlocked or did jailbreak earlier. If you do not know, simply answer "No". Even your iPhone is Pwned before we suggest you to click no for a fresh pwnage.
Step Thirteen). Now one of the most important steps since the PwnageTool makes your iPhone into the mode of repair, called "DFU mode", but then we need your help by pressing the buttons on / off in conjunction with the "home" for 10 seconds after releasing the button on / off and keeping the "home" for another 10 seconds.
Step Fourteen). Don’t worry if your timing goes wrong, because if you can not do at the right time Pwnage toll will ask you to try again. If everything worked, you get into DFU mode and your iPhone is ready to be unlocked. The Pwnage Tool has created an image software on your iPhone containing the release and to be able to finish your iTunes to restore this file "unlocked."
Step Fifteen). Now enter in iTunes to restore your iPhone. Logo of guy that tells iTunes detected an iPhone in DFU mode and you need to restore. . Step Sixteen). In iTunes, hold the Alt/Option key and click Restore. Navigate to the iHackintosh folder on your desktop using the dialog window that appears. Select the custom IPSW that was created and click the Open button. iTunes will now restore the firmware on your iPhone. This can also take up to 10 minutes.