Apple and HP claims that the OS X 10.6 install DVD includes all required drivers and software for HP printers, but many peoples complaints that those drivers were not working for them. Recently Apple pushed 10.6.1 update for Snow Leopard, Apple also updated HP printer drivers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to version 2.2 Before installing the latest drivers users are advised to uninstall any existing HP software and use the included drivers and software. If your printer is not working properly after installing the software update then follow the troubleshooting section below.
How to Install HP printer driver with Apple Software Update : Open the Software Update from the Apple menu, allow it to complete the process of “Checking for new software”, and then connect your printer or add it using the Print & Fax pane of System Preferences. If software for your printer is available through Software Update, you will see a prompt asking if you would like to download and install this software.
- Ensure the printer is connected, has power, has ink / toner, paper, and no alerts on its built-in display.
- Network based printers should be on the same subnet; you shouldn’t have to worry about this if your printer is on your home network.
- Use Software Update for the latest available updates.
- Delete the affected printer from Printer & Fax System Preferences, then re-add the printer.
- If the issue persists, reset printing system, then re-add the printer.
- If the issue persists, contact the printer vendor and/or visit their website for printer software and support.