Many Linux distributions include Firefox by default, and most have a package management system that lets you easily install Firefox. For those who are eager to run Firefox 3.5 on their Ubuntu Linux system can follow any of the three methods given below. Please note that installing Firefox 3.5 will overwrite your existing installation of Firefox. You won’t lose any of your bookmarks or browsing history, but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work until updates for them are made available. You can reinstall an older version later if you wish to downgrade.
Method 1: Installing Via Repository
If you are downloading firefox for first time on your Linux box then add following repository to source list. Others please skip to step 3
1. Open your Terminal and run following command
echo ‘deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main’ >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo ‘deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main’ >> /etc/apt/sources.list
2. Add the Launchpad PPA GPG key:
sudo apt-key adv –keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com –recv-keys 247510BE
3. Now run below command on your terminal
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5
Method 2: Install from a Tar file.
- Download Firefox from the Firefox download page to your home directory.
- Open a Terminal and extract the contents of the downloaded file.
cd ~ tar xjf firefox-*.tar.bz2
- Close Firefox if it’s open.
- To start Firefox, run the firefox script in the firefox folder.
Firefox should now start. You can then create an icon on your desktop to run this command.
As noted above, you need to install the required libraries for Firefox to work. Many distributions don’t include libstdc++5 by default.
Method 3 : Using Wget
Either you can download Firefox 3.5 via any other browser if you have on your Ubuntu or else run following command on terminal to download Fierfox 3.5
1. wget -O – ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/3.5/linux-i686/en-US/firefox-3.5.tar.bz2 | tar xj -C ~
2. Double-click the firefox file inside the firefox folder in your home directory, or run this command:
That’s it, A lest version Firefox 3.5 is installed and ready for use on your Linux Machine.