Windows Live Hotmail A.K.A. MSN Hotmail and commonly referred to simply as Hotmail, is a free web-based emailservice operated by Microsoft as part of its Windows Live group. It has over 270 million users worldwide as of 2008. Some time ago it wasn’t possible to set up Hotmail with the Mail application in OS X (at least without third-party apps/plugins). But recently, Microsoft announced POP3 access free for all Hotmail accounts. So now you can set up Hotmail in Mail.app with the help of following guide.
- Start Mail.app
- Go to Mail » Preferences, and click on Accounts.
- Click on the plus button (lower left) to add a new account.
- Type must say POP, and give the account a description.
- You must fill in the following information correctly or the account will not work:
- Incoming Mail Server: pop3.live.com
- Username: Your Hotmail address
- Password: Your Hotmail password
- Click on Continue
- Set the Outgoing Server to smtp.live.com , then click Continue, and click Continue again.
If everything was done correctly, you can now read and send Hotmail with the built-in Mail.app in OS X.