How to Connect VNC Server in MAC OSX Leopard.
VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. VNC is a graphical desktop sharing system that uses the RFB protocol to remotely control another computer. It transmits the keyboard and mouse signals from one computer to another. Definig VNC In the most basic of terms like you connect to a remote machine through VNC you see in a window the screen of the remote machine and you are able to control it as if you were sitting in front of it. Any actions taken through the window directly effect the remote machine. When it comes to Mac OS X many peoples prefer to buy a third party application and many of them don’t even know that OS X has built in VNC support. You can connect to a VNC server from your Leopard system without the third party application. Making it easy to control a remote system Leopard has this functionality built right in, so you won’t even have to install any other applications to accomplish this. Go through this post twice or thrice.
Setup as Client
- While in Finder, press the Command key+k on your keyboard. This will bring up the Connect to Server window.
- Input vnc://computername or vnc://ipaddress where computername (or ipaddress) is the name (or address) of the VNC server you wish to connect to. If the server is using another port besides the default (5900), add a colon and the port number after the computer name (or address).
- Click the Connect button.
- Enter your password, when prompted.
If it works you will have the option to connect as a registered user or by asking for permission.
- If you select registered user you will need to enter a username and password for an account on the server computer.
- If you select to ask for permission someone will need to be at the remote computer and click allow.
Setup as Server
Open the Sharing System Preferences pane.
- Open System Preferences from your black apple menu.
- Click Sharing.
- At the top of the Services list is Screen Sharing. Select it and turn it On.
- Where it says Allow access for:, choose All users.. This will make things easier.
- Click the Computer Settings button.
- From the next window check on Anyone may request permission to control screen.
- On the same window enable the VNC viewers may control screen with password option and choose a password. This allows computers running VNC software, such as Chicken of the VNC.