Dell Inspiron 600M comes with an Intel Pentium M processor and 802.11b wireless network. Those wishing to pay a little more can upgrade the system to a 802.11g wireless adapter. Memory is above average with 384MB, but below the leading 512MB of competing models. Audio is powered by AC’97 Audio. Graphics is a good mix of a 14.1″ LCD matched with an ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 graphics processor. Physical dimension of laptop is 12.4″ x 10.1″ x 1.2″ @ 5.3 lbs. Here we have a simple to follow guide on how to install OSX86 on Dell Inspiron 600m or Latitude D600. In the following guide we used iPC OSX86 Universal 10.5.6. iPC is the most advanced distro. If you are more experimental and looking for a dual boot then check my dual boot guide here.
Installation and Customization.
1. Update Your BIOS to Revision A17
2. If you want to reset your BIOS Settings to factory default, at which the settings are properly configured for iPC OSx86 Universal 10.5.6, enter Setup by pressing F2, then press Alt-F to reset, then Esc, and select “Save changes and reboot”. This will reset your clock as well, so don’t forget to set it back.
3. Put your DVD in rom and restart your computer with the DVD in Drive,now you should see Darwin load screen.
4. As counting starts press F8 key and you will be able to have some more option’s.
5. Now type -V and press enter now entered in VERBOSE mode here you are able to see any error if your screen freezes for more than 15 minutes than note last three lines and google them to find out a solution for your problem. If every thing goes fine after 15-30 minutes installation screen appear’s hold your breath we are not quit yet here.
6. On the top a menu bar appears click Utilities >> Disk Utility.
7. Here select the destination drive where u want to install Mac OSX.
8. Now click on ERASE on right hand side and under the format option select
” MAC OSX Journaled Extended ” and click Erase. Now the disk will be erased and mounted once this done you are very near to near to your destination.
9. Now close the disk utility and click on the partition which you created at previous Step.
10. In Customize option select the following patches.
- iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System
- (Optional) Language Translations pack of your choice.
- 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel
- AGPGart 2.7.1
- AC97 Audio
- PowerManagement Package
- ACPI fix – CPUS=1 One Core Fix
(Optional) IOPCMCIAFamily – Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5
PS/2 Keyboard Fix
- Patch DSDT
11. Now your disk will be checked for consistency than installaion begins. It will take 30-45 minute’s as your hardware.
Change your Default Screen Resolution.
1. Once the installation finishes, reboot with the DVD in the drive. Press F8 at Darwin Boot Loader and type – F – S – V and press enter and execute the following commands :
2. In single user mode, enter these commands:
/sbin/mount -uw /
nano -w com.apple.Boot.plist
3. And add the lines:
4. Save by by entering: ^X (Control+X)
5. When promted to overwrite, enter: Y (Yes) Save n Exit.
For wireless connection, Get iwi2200.dmg from the main project page, http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/ , not from the iPC install. If you have one of the older Dell Inspiron 600m, you may have a different wireless card. Check it first. The iwidarwin project has drivers for the PROSet/Wireless 2100 and a few other as well.