Compiz turns 0.8.0 ready for GNOME 2.24 and KDE 4.2
Compiz is one of the first compositing window managers for the X Window System that uses 3D graphics hardware to create fast compositing desktop effects for window management. Compiz features Exposé in Apple’s Mac OS X and an Alt-Tab application-switcher that uses live previews, instead of just icons.The latest Buzz from the developers behind the famous Compiz project is the release of Compiz 0.8.0, after approximately five months of hard work. Compiz 0.80 brings highly improved support for the GNOME 2.24 and KDE 4.2 desktop environments.Official Announcement Here.
Diffrence Between Compiz and Compiz Fusion.
On March 30, 2007 the discussions between the Beryl (a fork of Compiz) and Compiz communities led to a merge of the two communities which results in two new software packages:
- Compiz (also Compiz-core) which contains only the core functionality of compiz and base plugins
- Compiz Fusion, consisting of the plugins, decorators, settings tools and related applications from the Beryl and Compiz communities. Its main activity is focused in installation, configuration and additional plugins to be added to the core functionalities of Compiz.
Some Highlights of Compiz 0.8.0:
· The new “gnomecompact” plugin handles bindings used only in the GNOME desktop environment and removes the corresponding bindings from the core, fixing the main menu and run bindings in KDE; GNOME desktop environment users are advised to enable this plugin;
· Support for _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS EWMH hint;
· Support for reading icon hints from WM_HINTS when the _NET_WM_ICON is not available;
· The GNOME support has been updated to GNOME 2.24;
· The scale plugin now has a new option allowing a “toggle type” behavior for key/button bindings;
· The GTK-window-decorator has been adjusted for newer versions of libmetacity-private;
· The GTK-window-decorator display has been fixed for RTL languages;
· The KDE4-window-decorator has been adjusted for the K Desktop Environment 4.2 API;
· Many minor bugfixes, mainly regarding resize handling and stacking code;
· The utility, menu and toolbar windows are now treated as group transients;
· Active fullscreen windows will always be kept on top;
· The switcher is now using the foreground color;
· Many memory leak fixes.